Re: noisy 8020 mics

Subject: Re: noisy 8020 mics
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:13 pm ((PDT))
> You might unscrew the capsule from the body and clean the
> connectors.  I'm
> not sure the best method for this, but seems you couldn't go wrong
> with a
> clean dry lint-free cloth.

Smear the insulators of the capsule and body with a touch of silicone
grease, making sure you avoid any vents or apertures. That should
prevent any tracking due to moisture. The BBC Film Unit workshops used
to do this with the original AKG 451 series including VR extensions
which were prone to frying in the damp. I'm old enough to have used
AKG valve (tube) mics which got got hot but still fizzled.

If the problem is internal, keep the mic in a "dry box". Silica gel is
inconvenent to keep dry and saturates easily, but woollen cloth irons
dry quickly and then absorbs moisture.

XLR's with 48V across them can track with moisture and here you can
simply spray inside and out with silicone.

Don't use heat to dry equipment - it drives moisture inwards.

PS my MKH 416's have been outdoors protected only by a tent in all
weathers all summer and not a whisper of a crackle or plop.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce