Re: Anthrophony in "nature" soundscapes

Subject: Re: Anthrophony in "nature" soundscapes
From: "revery" reveryus
Date: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:08 pm ((PDT))
Hi Gordon and all,

I agree with much you say. Anthrophony can actually be important in a
soundscape recording for various reasons. As an example a recording
that was significant for me in becoming interested in soundscape
recording in the first place was a BBC recording of Nightingales in
England in 1942, interrupted by bombers flying to Germany on a raid.
The original BBC Recording is at:

http://www.howtobearetronaut.com/2010/09/nightingales-and-bombers/

The information at this site mentions that the recording is actually
of a live BBC broadcast of the Nightingales at a particular location
that they did every year back in those days(!!).
I first heard it on the Nightingales and Bombers album by Manfred Mann
Earth band back in the day, so it actually ends up in created art
object context.

The whole topic is very interesting and I think it's clear that there
are many types and purposes of nature and soundscape recording and
presentation contexts that all have a place. Personally I am
interested in them all and I'm more than a bit wary of defining human
activity as outside of nature, but I understand it's a special case
that needs it own category in the biophony terminology.

Perhaps some categorisation and terminology development for the
selectivity criteria and sound processing used in recordings would be
useful, so that appropriate labeling of published sounds/recordings/
art could provide more clarity about what we are hearing.

Ray.