Re: Anthrophony in "nature" soundscapes

Subject: Re: Anthrophony in "nature" soundscapes
From: "Mike Rooke" picnet2
Date: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:36 am ((PDT))
Hi Scott,
    Its unfortunate that RX2 crashed many times on my machine to the point =
that I asked for and received a full refund. I will wait for a more stable =
version. There is a particular issue that the developers are fixing (which =
is specific to a few machines and mine happened to be one of them) - for ot=
her readers please don't take this as an example of the software quality at=
 all, just a quirk of my machine.=A0Support was first class, emailing back =
and forth to one of the developers and also CEO of izotope - but this didn'=
t solve the crashing problem at least for the time being. Other application=
s are fine even ones using heavy memory and processor usage. I was using RX=
2 in stand alone mode.

Just to re-iterate, this is a single example and Im sure it works fine as y=
ou have indicated below so for others reading try the trial and buy the sof=
tware if its something you need.

I'll probably return to the application once a beta version is confirmed to=
 work on my machine.

-BR
Mike.

--- In  Scott Fraser <> wr=
ote:

> <<I recently brought RX2 for this purpose but found it to be pretty hopel=
ess both from a GUI usability point of view and technically very poor at di=
splaying enough spectral resolution to see the offending tones. (a generato=
r running on the beach in this case, 11dB above the noise floor of the reco=
rde) - RX2 liked to crash rather a lot and also consume cpu cycles. >>

> I use RX2 extensively in my recording & mastering business & it is an inc=
redibly capable application. It does have a fairly steep learning curve & I=
 suspect you may have to invest more time in it. There are a number of exce=
llent tutorial videos on YouTube as well as an in depth PDF available from =
iZotope, which go a long way to explaining many of the tweakier aspects of =
the program. I would suggest that you run it in standalone mode, not as a p=
lugin in a DAW host. Any crashing I've had has been cured by a reboot. Ther=
e are preferences or menu items which expand the graphic resolution of the =
spectral display enormously. For the generator noise you may want to run se=
veral passes through the Denoise, as well as Spectral Repair modes. Don't e=
xpect many pure pitches to be displayed, as internal combustion engines pro=
duce wide bandwidth noise. Some noises simply can't be fixed, they are too =
pervasive, but where fixing is possible RX2 is one of the most powerful pro=
cessors available to editors.