Re: Anthrophony in "nature" soundscapes

Subject: Re: Anthrophony in "nature" soundscapes
From: "Bernie Krause" bigchirp1
Date: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:46 am ((PDT))
The late John Cage once weighed in brilliantly on the natural
soundscape and editing issue at a conference at LucasFilm in 1989.
When asked if there was anything "pure" about a recording, he kind of
shook his head and thought for a moment, as if anyone who was a
recordist could even broach the subject. After responding that because
a recording (of any sound) is a decontextulaization and abstraction of
its source, in a "so what?" moment, he said:

"Attempts to replicate or capture aspects of the natural world without
amendment speak clearly to a vision of paralysis and death=85It
[recording of sound] simply cannot be done without some element of
transformation.=94

Bernie Krause