Introduction...

Subject: Introduction...
From: "Tim" pteropus_tim
Date: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:43 pm ((PDT))
Hi everyone,

I've been spending a lot of time getting information by searching through
the archives, and thought it was about time I joined the group - so may I
introduce myself?

I'm based in Sydney, Australia, and am currently doing an Honours research
year looking at flying-fox vocal communications.

I've played casually with audio recordings of wildlife before, but what I'm
doing now is at a totally different level. Basically, I'm trying to obtain
good recordings of the individual vocalisations of flying-foxes, with the
aim of analysing them and relating the vocalisations to behavioural traits,
and also ascertaining if urban noise has any effect - it's been shown to
effect birdsong, but nothing is known about possible effects on flying-fox
vocalisations as they become more urban.

As flying-foxes roost communally, and are very social and vocal, I'm using =
parabola (Telinga Universal with Sennheiser ME62) to abstract the individua=
calls from the background cacophony. I'm also getting soundscapes of the
flying-fox camps at various times of the day, using a pair of Sennheiser
ME64's in an ORTF array. I'm recording on a Fostex FR2-LE, and analysing
using Audacity and Raven.

Like a lot of endeavours, I'm learning very quickly that doing a basic job
is not hard - getting good results is a very different story indeed! So I
may be asking some odd questions of the list.

Cheers.

Tim Pearson

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional