Re: silencing cicadas

Subject: Re: silencing cicadas
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:57 pm ((PDT))
Yes, most films are fictional and location reality usually doesn't fit
in - and I include documentaries, but I don't think anyone has
mentioned the most important point which is sound editing and sound
continuity. As a Film Recordist I supplied not only the obvious sounds
as cleanly as possible but also "wildtracks" (non-sync with picture)
of background sounds to help the poor sound editor later join
everything up. There is a limit to covering up sound discontinuities,
as intercutting between say, three locations or three times of day may
need three times the background sounds added.

The continuity person (or whatever they are called today) counts how
many buttons are done up or which hand an actor is holding something ,
but they rarely notice background sounds if the Recordist doesn't
point them out.

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce