Re: Introduction...

Subject: Re: Introduction...
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:18 pm ((PDT))
Hi Tim,

Your flying fox research sounds fascinating.  Back in February 2009 I
had a camp on my property with perhaps 10,000 Little Red Flying Foxes
roosting along Coco Creek in Capertee Valley, NSW (about 3 hours west
of Sydney).  I had never seen them close up before, and it was soon
obvious that they had many different sorts of calls - they were very
vocal at the daytime camp.  I was told each call had a meaning, and
that there was a language going on here.

I recorded some of their calls with gun mic and stereo pairs of mics,
but did not get as far as figuring out who was saying what, and why.

The predawn contact calls were interesting too, as the mob flew over
my house, heading back to their roost at the creek.  In the evenings
when they flew away from the roost they were quite silent, no calls
at all.

I imagine that using a reflector will give you best results for
individual vocalizations, although they roost so close together it
will be hard to isolate just one flying fox.  Maybe you would have to
memorize some of the different calls then just watch through
binoculars and see how the calls are being used?

Please do let us know what you find out with your research!

best wishes,

Vicki Powys
(Sound Editor, Australian Wildlife Sound Recording Group).