Re: Sonosax SX-R4

Subject: Re: Sonosax SX-R4
From: "davimon100" davimon100
Date: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:53 am ((PDT))

Hi Emil,

I am fortunate enough to own a Sonosax SX-R4.  What can I tell you that you=
 can't otherwise find out from data spec. sheets?
It's under a kilo in weight, is the size of a good read in paperback, has 4=
 XLR inputs with lovely quiet preamps, and up to 8 channels are possible if=
 used with a mixer or digital input.  It's easy to use, being particularly =
easy to start recording (it wakes in a state of pause).

To look at it you'd be forgiven for thinking there wasn't much too it.  Unl=
ike the SD suite the SX-R4 gives a minimalist light show.  Channels can be =
paired and ganged and matrixed.  One of the moans leveled at it - that meta=
data could not be edited in the unit - has just been addressed in the lates=
t firmware update.  Mine has a 60Gb hard drive and takes CF cards, too.  Th=
at's plenty for a day in the woods.  Mono, stereo and polyphonic recordings=
 are supported. It has Timecode, too, in case you get to work with a camera=
.

I can't compare it's performance to the SD units as I have not used one.  S=
ome SD users, however, made approving noises when they took it for a spin.

It runs on six AA.  I use a Hawk Woods Lithium battery pack, which keeps it=
 going for an age, without adding much weight to the sound bag.

It's way better than my current abilities and I hope to deserve it soon. =

David