Re: Introduction...

Subject: Re: Introduction...
From: "Tim" pteropus_tim
Date: Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:17 am ((PDT))
David,

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

In reply, I can only say (while pointing out that I'm still very new to thi=
game, am still almost desperately trying to learn, and really appreciate an=
feedback!) that I did try a number of different setups, including an x-y
array at various angles, and decided that for my purposes the ORTF array
seemed to work best. Remember I'm not trying to get the most aurally
'impressive' recording; what I'm trying to do with the stereo setup is: a)
get a general soundscape that played back over (typically) computer stereo
speakers gives a comparative impression of the noise in that particular
flying-fox camp at that particular time; b) allows me to get an averaged
sound level and frequency distribution spectrum for the 10 minute duration
of the recording (using Raven 1.4); and c) if I'm lucky enough to get a goo=
distinct call on one channel; isolate, extract and analyse that call
separately.

The ORTF array seemed to me to give these requirements, while also providin=
a (relatively) dead spot immediately behind the array - where I am usually
sitting and taking notes.

In many cases I am in the middle of a flying-fox camp; these can be a 1-2
hectare area containing up to 30-40,000 individual bats, all talking
simultaneously (these animals haven't yet learned that it's polite to put
your wing up and wait for a break in the conversation before speaking!) so
need to record on a wide field to get an overall impression.

This is also, of course, why I am using a parabola for my specific targeted
recordings - in spite of its being a little more painful to handle, the
parabola (providing it's pointed directly at the target) allows the specifi=
animal's vocalisations to be so much louder than the surrounding general
noise that they are (relatively) easily abstracted and analysed.

The shotgun mics I have access too (Sennheiser ME66 and ME67) do not seem t=
be able to abstract to this extent. Maybe a better mic (SennheiserMKH8070??=
)
may achieve this but sadly at the moment it's out of my league.

I must admit to being a little worried about the frequent comments I come
across in various areas of the scientific literature regarding supposed
"colouration" of the sound by the parabola? Although both reviewing posting=
on this list, and doing a little research of my own into the published
literature, this does not seem to be a huge problem providing you are
concerned with on-axis recordings of above the critical frequency for the
dish diameter you are using. Or have I missed the point entirely somewhere?=

As I stated above, effectively only a parabola seems to be able to abstract
the individual calls from the surrounding verbiage successfully.

If I understand things correctly, there's no necessarily perfectly correct
answer for anything in this game; like in many fields, the answer is usuall=
"it depends."

Reading this list there's so many techniques and bits of equipment I'd like
to try! Now, where's that lottery win??

Cheers.

Tim