Re: Introduction and request for equipment advice

Subject: Re: Introduction and request for equipment advice
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Sat Jun 4, 2011 4:04 am ((PDT))
Hi Peter,

You might like to have a listen to Andrew Skeoch's comparison between the L=
S11 with internal mics and his usual Sound Devices SD722/Knapp SASS/MKH20 r=
ig.

http://soundcloud.com/listeningearth/ls11-sass-mkh20s-environmental

Your original plan of the LS7 plus ME66/K6 plus a Rode windshield is probab=
ly the best way to start out. The high output level of the ME66/K6 means th=
at the mic preamps LS7 will not degrade the noise performance of the mic. Y=
ou will not gain any significant benefit from the quieter preamps of the LS=
11 when using a ME66/K6.  The main reason to look at quieter preamps is if =
you are planning on doing soundscape recordings with low noise mics.

cheers
Paul

On 04/06/2011, at 4:09 AM, Peter Shute wrote:

> Thanks for that. I've spent the last few hours googling, and I was alread=
y starting to think I should risk it on the warranty. My usual approach to =
new hobbies is to buy the cheapest that will do the job, with the idea that=
 it's not such a huge investment that I can't replace it with something bet=
ter when I know what I'm doing. I'm leaning back towards the LS-7. That wil=
l be over $100 saved that I can put towards a microphone.

> There aren't many people posting about using it for nature recording, but=
 the specs seem similar enough to the LS-11 that I think it's worth risking=
 it. I like the idea of the H4n, but the extra size is off putting. People =
with H4n's seem happy with them, but LS-11 owners seem really happy.

> So the main risk is if it's faulty when it arrives. I guess I have the no=
rmal ebay/Paypal protections there and all I lose is some postage.

> Looking forward to your DIY microphone ideas.
>
> Peter Shute

 On Behalf Of Avocet