Re: Introduction and request for equipment advice

Subject: Re: Introduction and request for equipment advice
From: "Sabyasachi Patra" indiawilds
Date: Fri Jun 3, 2011 11:49 pm ((PDT))
The Tascam DR 100 in the high gain setting gives lot of hiss. I used it with
a Sennheiser MKH 416. However, i don't agree with David that it is the fault
of the Sennheiser. The Sennheiser needs phantom power. I understand if you
switch on the phantom power option in the DR 100, you immediately get hiss.
When I plugged in a juicedLink DT454 mixer infront of the DR100 recorder and
attached the MKH 416 to the DT454, the hiss was controlled. One can use a
better mixer infront of the DR100 like the Sound Devices Mixpre or others
(if budget permits). Ocourse the Sound devices mixpre costs about 600 odd
USD.

I have heard that people get the DR 100 modified by Oade Brothers and it
becomes silent.

I used the Tascam DR100 for interviews with the mixer and MKH 416. For
nature sound recording without a mixer the DR 100 is not my preferable
option. And with a mixer attached carrying it becomes difficult unless you
are placing them in some sort of bag (porta brace or some such). It is not
easy spending a ton of money, but I don't want to mess up opportunities. So
I have just upgraded to the SD 702T

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

--