Re: Introduction and request for equipment advice

Subject: Re: Introduction and request for equipment advice
From: "Avocet" madl74
Date: Fri Jun 3, 2011 9:33 am ((PDT))
> I don't want to make a big initial investment, as I don't want $1000
> of gear lying around if it turns out I'm not that interested, or
> don't find it that useful.

Peter,

Equally well if you get the bug you will soon want to expand your
horizons and the next step is stereo.

I would haunt eBay and take the chance on warranties. Chances are that
how you use them outside may well invalidate a warranty anyway. All
the suitable recorders will be stereo so it's the mic we are talking
about. Look at semi-pro stereo mics designed to clip on to video
cameras like the AT8022. Alternatively if you use an M-S type gunmic,
a mono mix will give you a more or less standard mono gunmic response

I don't worry too much about noise figures, as the great ourdoors can
be noisy anyway. If all else fails you can clean up reordings with
packages like Audacity (free).

My advice would be to go for the middle ground. If you don't carry on,
you should be able to find a buyer to cut you losses if you have a
half decent setup.

Have you looked at Tascam recorders? I don't know what is available in
Australia, but some have pre-record and auto pause without costing a
packet. The quality of the digital recording is going to be higher
than any entry level mic anyway. On my Tascam DR-100 I can hear
Sennheiser mic hiss with a very quiet background and that's on one of
their best mics.

If you are a DIY type I may have a surprise coming up on the mic
front. :-)

David

David Brinicombe
North Devon, UK
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum - Ambrose Bierce