Odp: RE: [Nature Recordists] Introduction and request for equipment

Subject: Odp: RE: [Nature Recordists] Introduction and request for equipment
From: "Krystian Zwolinski" krystianzwolinski
Date: Fri Jun 3, 2011 12:06 am ((PDT))
Hello Peter

If You want to buy ME66 microphone, you have to choose which power module y=
ou want to use with it. First, I found, that K6P module (needs external pha=
ntom power only) is more expensive than K6 (which has internal powering by =
AA cell).

So if You buy small recorder without phantom power, You have to buy K6 modu=
le to feed ME66. Buying recorder with phantom (like H4n), you can choose K6=
P module (and feed it with phantom from ZOOM) or K6 module (and use it like=
 external mic without powering). If You want to use Your gear only to recor=
d birds, IMO a small recorder and ME66/K6 system is cheaper and lighter in =
the field.

I had the same problems like You. Finally I choosed Sony PCM-M10 and ME66/K=
Message: 6.
Subject: I use it in fhe field with RODE Blimp windshield and I love this set.

Good luck with shopping :)

Krystian

Dnia 3-06-2011 o godz. 8:23 Peter Shute napisa=B3(a):

> Thanks, I wouldn't expect anything in this pric range to be the finest, b=
ut does "it is fine" mean the H4n is just ok, or that it's as good as an LS=
-10 or 11? It seems really popular with musicians here, so it's easily avai=
lable and I assume well supported, but I don't know if it has any idiosyncr=
asies that make it less suitable for this. I'm not fussed by minor differen=
ces, but I don't want to end up hating the thing.

>  I read the review of the H2 at http://www.wildlife-sound.org/equipment/r=
ecorders/zoomh2/index.html:
>  "... its limitations means it cannot really be recommended for wildlife =
sound recording due to the limited gain and high noise level on the externa=
l microphone input."

>  I've already got a cheapish pair of Sennheiser headphones I can use for =
monitoring. Bought nearly 20 years ago, and about time they got used for so=
mething.

>  Peter Shute
>
>  ________________________________________
] On Behalf Of Bob & Sandi McLean
>  Sent: Friday, 3 June 2011 1:35 PM
>  Cc: Bob & Sandi McLean
>  Subject: Re: [Nature Recordists] Introduction and request for equipment =
advice

>  Peter,
>
>  It may not be the finest, but it is fine.  Try the Zoom H2 at $149 in
>  your shirt pocket and a pair of $10 earphones for the best starter
>  recording kit for getting solid ID recordings with no fuss.
>
>  Bob McLean
>  Sonoma, CA
>
>  On Jun 2, 2011, at 7:32 PM, Peter Shute wrote:
>
>  > I live in Melbourne, Australia, and I currently have no recording
>  > equipment, other than my compact camera and my phone. I've used
>  > these to make near worthless recordings of birds for id, and I'd
>  > like to improve my results. I know very little about sound gear, and
>  > I'm hoping I can get some advice on what to buy.
>  >
>  > I don't want to make a big initial investment, as I don't want $1000
>  > of gear lying around if it turns out I'm not that interested, or
>  > don't find it that useful.
>  >
>  > After reading this list's archives, and lots of websites and forums,
>  > and playing with a friend's Zoom H1, I decided it would be best to
>  > go for an Olympus LS-7, and think about an ME66 later. I chose the
>  > LS-7 because it's cheaper than an LS-10 or 11, and seems to do most
>  > of the same things, but has a 2 second prerecord and some timer
>  > functions, neither of which I know if they'll be useful.
>  >
>  > But now that I'm trying to buy one, I find that I can't find one in
>  > a local shop for a decent price. I can get one from the USA on eBay
>  > for about AUD$200. I've only found one shop claiming to sell them,
>  > for $300. One shop said they aren't imported to this country, and
>  > quoted $600 for an LS-11. Both suggested I'd have no warranty if I
>  > buy on eBay.
>  >
>  > Another place didn't have them, but has the Zoom H4N for $340 (and
>  > scoffed at the idea of stocking Olympus "dictaphones"). I think I'd
>  > rather have that than pay $300 to get an LS-7 with a local warranty.
>  > It's a bit big, but phantom power sounds useful, and 4 track
>  > recording sounds like fun. It also has a 2 second prerecord buffer.
>  >
>  > - Is buying an LS-7 with no effective warranty much of a risk?
>  > - Does anyone know where to buy one in Australia with a warranty?
>  > - Is the H4N as good as the LS series for bird call recording? It
>  > seems very oriented towards music recording.
>  > -Is it as easy to use?
>  > - One advantage of Olympus recorders was that lots of people use
>  > them. Are there as many using Zooms? It's nice to have a lot of
> [...]

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: