Re: DIY 1/8 input stereo mic...wiring question.

Subject: Re: DIY 1/8 input stereo mic...wiring question.
From: "zacharypoff" zacharypoff
Date: Tue May 24, 2011 10:29 am ((PDT))
OK. 3-wire electrets are a slightly different story. (If it's the Radio
Shack capsule, I think red is power, white is signal, and black is
ground. They were too noisy for anything except drums when I last tried
them.) I've never tried to use 3-wire electrets with plug-in-power.

I think you should read about electret powering and Plug-in-Power
supplies to get a firmer grasp of what you're dealing with:
http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/microphone_powering.html#plugin
<http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/microphone_powering.html#plugin>

Avoid speaker wire and don't worry about color codes. Mics require
shielded cable (an insulated inner wire surrounded by a wire mesh
"shield" that protects the signal from electromagnetic interference.)
RCA cable is not "uniform", it's 2 wires: inner conductor and shield.

Depending on your application, you might be better off getting some
good-sounding 2 wire electrets. They are cheap...

Panasonic WM-61a capsules (the old standby) are about $2USD each:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=3DP9925-N\
<http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=3DP9925-\

Primo EM-172 capsules (less hiss) are about $10USD each:
http://www.frogloggers.com/BT%20EM172.htm
<http://www.frogloggers.com/BT%20EM172.htm>
http://www.zachpoff.com/diy-resources/low-noise-binaural-mics-primo-em17\
2