DIY 1/8 input stereo mic...wiring question.

Subject: DIY 1/8 input stereo mic...wiring question.
From: "Paul Willison" wolfen49508
Date: Sun May 22, 2011 3:02 pm ((PDT))
Ok, I've acquired some small microphone cores, as well as a 1/8" mic/phone
input, but need to know about the type of wire used to build the set.   I have
two  mics and stereo input, and am wondering if it's feasible to use the wire
harness from a set of headphones.  I have a couple of old sets that don't work
property, as well as a couple of ear bud types I simply don't like, and wonder
what you guys think.    The other option I considered is speaker wire...I have
numerous speaker splitters with the proper  male and female connectors, and
wonder if I could wire the microphones somehow to a couple of sections of
speaker wire (they all have 1/8" plugs), and run the two independent mic's into
a harnes, and then into my recorder?
Online, even cheap stereo microphones run over $50, and I picked all of this up
for less then $10.   The mics are 20-20,000 hz, but beyond that I know little
about them.   Anyway..again, main question is if I can wire them and if so, if
anyone want's to give me any other pointers, I'd be more then appreciative!