[Nature Recordists] Re: DIY 1/8 input stereo mic...wiring question=

Subject: [Nature Recordists] Re: DIY 1/8 input stereo mic...wiring question=
From: zacharypoff <>
.

Ditto what Dan said. In my experience, some headphone cords are shielded en=
ough
for mic usage and some are not. They are all difficult to solder.

If you're new to soldering then I recommend getting a stereo 1/8" to dual R=
CA
cable. They are all shielded (to various degrees) and the molded 1/8" conne=
ctor
may be more reliable than a hand-soldered one. If you can find one with a
right-angle 1/8" plug it might be more durable. They tend to be thicker/sti=
ffer
than headphone cable, so mechanical handling noise can be a problem.

Clip off the RCA ends and solder the wires to your capsules. (look online f=
or
the capsule wiring) Be quick so you don't fry the capsule.

Good luck.
-Zach

--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> > Ok, I've acquired some small microphone cores, as well as a 1/8" mic/ph=
one
> > input, but need to know about the type of wire used to build the set.  =
>have
>
> > two  mics and stereo input, and am wondering if it's feasible to use th=
e wire

> > harness from a set of headphones.  I have a couple of old sets that don=
't
>work
>
> > property, as well as a couple of ear bud types I simply don't like, and=

>wonder
>
> > what you guys think.
>
> You need coaxial shielded cable. Many headphones are wired with that but-=
-most
>headphones are wired with special ultra-flexible cable where wire and plas=
tic
>fiber strands are mixed together. It's a pain in the ass for an expert to=

>solder, and I don't recommend a beginner trying it.
>
> > The other option I considered is speaker wire...I have
> > numerous speaker splitters with the proper  male and female connectors,=
 and
> > wonder if I could wire the microphones somehow to a couple of sections =
of
> > speaker wire (they all have 1/8" plugs), and run the two independent mi=
c's
>into
>
> > a harnes, and then into my recorder?
>
> If the speaker wire is shielded (inner conductor surrounded by insulation=
,
>shield conductor over that, then a jacket), it will be fine. If it is mini=
ature
>"zip cord," with two wires bonded together in a pair, then it isn't shield=
ed and
>won't be good for mics.
>
> -Dan

<*> Your email settings: