Re: Would Like Opinions On Mics If You Have Them.

Subject: Re: Would Like Opinions On Mics If You Have Them.
From: "scratchpaws" scratchpaws
Date: Mon May 9, 2011 6:47 am ((PDT))
Thanks, Dan.
I'll do a search and look into the parabolic thing, or if you have a good s=
ource on constructing it, I'm all ears.

The S-to-N Ratio on the Sony threw me off. I thought the higher the number =
on that, the better. The "18db" spec seemed low indeed.

However, thanks for the tips. I "ain't" much on the physics of the matter. =
I have no idea why the Azden would be more hissy than the Sony, so I'll go =
with your assessment.

--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> > Alas, I'm planning to purchase one of these microphones. I plan to use =
it with a Sony D50 Portable Recorder for isolating and recording nature sou=
nds at 100-200 ft.

> > Wondering if anyone has experience/opinions on either, or other advice.=
 Both seem to be highly rated; about the same price with xlr/mini adapter f=
or the Azden.

> > Any help here much appreciated.
> >
> > Azden SGM 1X Shotgun
> > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/238826-REG/Azden_SGM_1X_SGM_1X_Sh=
otgun_Mic.html
> > Electret Condenser
> > Supercardioid
> > FR: 80 Hz - 18 kHz
> > Dynamic Range (Typical)     80 dB
> > Signal-to-Noise Ratio       65 dB
> > Maximum Input Sound Level   110 dB
> > Power Requirements  1.5v DC; 0.2mA (AAA Battery, Features Approximately=
 1000 Hours of Use)
> > Output Impedance    680 Ohms (at 1kHz)
> > Output Connectors   XLR-3M Type
> > Pad         None
> > Low Frequency Roll-Off      6 dB/Octave, (@ 200 Hz)
> >
> > Sony ECM CG50 Pro Shotgun
> > http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749831-REG/Sony_ECM_CG50BP_ECM_CG=
Message: 50_Shotgun_Microphone.
Subject: html
> > Electret Condenser
> > Cardioid (Sharp Directivity)
> > FR: 40Hz ~ 20kHz
> > Dynamic Range (Typical)     80dB or more
> > Signal-to-Noise Ratio       18dB SPL (Average) ???????????????
> > Maximum Input Sound Level   100dB SPL or More
> > Power Requirements  Combination of AA alkaline dry battery and/or plug-=
in power
> > Size AA alkaline dry battery (sold separately)
> > Output Connector    1/8" (3.5mm_ gold coating L-type stereo mini plug
> > Sensitivity         -48dB / Pa =B14dB
>
> Neither of those will "isolate" nature sounds at 100-200 ft. Actually no =
mic can do that. Your best shot at separating a source from the ambience is=
 to use a parabolic dish microphone. You can build your own for economy.

> I have no experience with either mic. The Sony has a much better self-noi=
se specification, from the specs the Azden looks hissy as hell.