Re: Would Like Opinions On Mics If You Have Them.

Subject: Re: Would Like Opinions On Mics If You Have Them.
From: "scratchpaws" scratchpaws
Date: Tue May 10, 2011 8:42 am ((PDT))
Wow.
Thanks so much, Dan.
I checked the Sony site, and they put the S/N Ratio on the CG50 at 76 db "o=
r more". That's close to the "78", and the "76" points to that original 18d=
b stat as self noise.

But since you brought it up, I'm looking to maybe try the parabolic reflect=
or thingy before trying the mic. Sounds like it may give me what I need for=
 a lot less money. I'm looking at 14" wok lids.

Got any input on reflector size or construction?

--- In  Dan Dugan <> wrote:

> > The S-to-N Ratio on the Sony threw me off. I thought the higher the num=
ber on that, the better. The "18db" spec seemed low indeed.

> The S/N figure is obviously a mistake. I'm going to assume that they mean=
 "self noise" with that 18 dBSPL figure. I also suspect that an ignorant ed=
itor changed "A" to "Average." If you subtract the 80 dB Dynamic Range from=
 the 100 dBSPL Maximum Input Level, you get 20 dB, which is close to the 18=
, and if the Dynamic Range figure is broad-band and the self noise is A-wei=
ghted, it all makes sense.

> Yes, with real Signal-to-Noise Ratio figures larger is better. The "signa=
l" in the case of microphones is 94 dBSPL, so you can figure the self-noise=
 by subtracting the S/N from 94.

> 18 dBA self noise is fine for most applications, it could deserve to be c=
alled "low noise," but it isn't quiet enough for distant sources or quiet a=
mbiences. Our colleague here Rob Danielson has established a specification =
of 16 dBA self-noise as the maximum acceptable for soundscape recording.

> Using that standard a mic suitable for nature ambiences should have an S/=
N of at least 94 - 16 =3D 78.