Re: Would Like Opinions On Mics If You Have Them.

Subject: Re: Would Like Opinions On Mics If You Have Them.
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Mon May 9, 2011 8:52 am ((PDT))
> The S-to-N Ratio on the Sony threw me off. I thought the higher the numbe=
r on that, the better. The "18db" spec seemed low indeed.

>>> FR: 40Hz ~ 20kHz
>>> Dynamic Range (Typical)     80dB or more
>>> Signal-to-Noise Ratio       18dB SPL (Average) ???????????????
>>> Maximum Input Sound Level   100dB SPL or More

The S/N figure is obviously a mistake. I'm going to assume that they mean "=
self noise" with that 18 dBSPL figure. I also suspect that an ignorant edit=
or changed "A" to "Average." If you subtract the 80 dB Dynamic Range from t=
he 100 dBSPL Maximum Input Level, you get 20 dB, which is close to the 18, =
and if the Dynamic Range figure is broad-band and the self noise is A-weigh=
ted, it all makes sense.

Yes, with real Signal-to-Noise Ratio figures larger is better. The "signal"=
 in the case of microphones is 94 dBSPL, so you can figure the self-noise b=
y subtracting the S/N from 94.

18 dBA self noise is fine for most applications, it could deserve to be cal=
led "low noise," but it isn't quiet enough for distant sources or quiet amb=
iences. Our colleague here Rob Danielson has established a specification of=
 16 dBA self-noise as the maximum acceptable for soundscape recording.

Using that standard a mic suitable for nature ambiences should have an S/N =
of at least 94 - 16 =3D 78.

-Dan