Re: Archival quality DVD burners

Subject: Re: Archival quality DVD burners
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:32 pm ((PDT))
Hi Danny & Paul--
~4 years ago I found several web sites with tests of burners with
several criteria measured. There were significant differences between
burners.

If you are thinking of buying a drive for making archive copies, I'd
definitely do some research
http://www.cdrlabs.com/
http://www.cdrinfo.com

Like Danny, I've been using T-Y silver premium discs (~.25 cents ea.)
for the last 4 years. There are very, very few mis-burns. No verified
disk has failed to mount and read at later date. I opted for the
Pioneer 107D which tested out well and matched another drive I
already owned.  I think some test better. Plextor are also highly
regarded.

Please let us know what you find some recent production models that
have tested-out well! Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D

At 6:50 PM +0000 4/29/11, Danny wrote:

>I do not purport to be an expert in burner engineering, but I
>believe that if we're referring to the burning of data files, the
>difference in burner is not very meaningful to the final outcome. I
>would be more concerned with the media itself for archival
>longevity. I use Taiyo Yuden media which has served me well and
>seems to come up with very low error rates when used with any number
>of burners, but I am sure there are other good media brands out
>there as well.
>
>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
m,