Re: Archival quality DVD burners

Subject: Re: Archival quality DVD burners
From: "Dennis Moser" aldus_manutius
Date: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:38 pm ((PDT))
Danny is correct in calling attention to the media and not the burner.

Sadly still, DVD is NOT considered as a truly "archival" media and has been=
 found to be less reliable than the CD. While the Taiyo Yuden media has bee=
n shown to be the "gold standard" (no pun intended), it has still been show=
n that over the time periods tobe considered when discussing "archival stan=
dards" they cannot compete with other archival approaches.

If you are truly concerned with the long-term longevity of your digital fil=
es, consider developing a "migration" approach of trnasferring digital file=
s on a regular basis.

Yeah, as a matter of fact this IS part of my day-job (I'm an archivist by t=
raining).

Best,

Dennis Moser