Re: Soundscape ecology

Subject: Re: Soundscape ecology
From: "gweddig" gweddig
Date: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:01 am ((PDT))
Martyn,
You have called people out for discussing topics less relevant than this
so please take this domain name registration issue between Bernie and
Gordon off list.  If Bernie is concerned about the  issue I'm sure he
can take it up with Gordon personally, off list.  We don't need to be
dragged into the perceived rivalry.  Here is the "charter" of the group:

This moderated group is interested in techniques, issues and general
discussion of recording natural sounds. Topics include, but aren't
limited to recording techniques and equipment, recording venues and
discussions of various animal vocalizations and communication. Other
natural sounds, such as water, weather and wind-generated sounds are
valid topics.

Issues related to computerized editing of sounds, copyrights, Internet
applications and commercial uses of files are encouraged.

I know you and Bernie are good friends and I respect your work and
Bernie's (and Gordon's) but everytime I seem this tit for tat bickering
I lose respect for you guys at the top.

/rant

--greg weddig
http://gregweddig.net

--- In  Martyn Stewart <>
wrote:

> It's not that it was so important to Krause to "snap up" a domain
name. It wasn't. He was not looking for it for himself. That's because
he, like some others of us, occasionally consider others, unlike a few
we know.  It was that the hard scientific work being done by the group
at Michigan State and Purdue...taking several years to get peer reviewed
traction for the premise not only of the notion of soundscape ecology
and biophony...is due some measure of respect and recognition by members
of the community. If one chooses to dismiss that in favour of someone
whose efforts are essentially hyperbole (like claims that there are only
10 places left to record in N. America and zero in Europe, for instance)
and self-promotion with utter sincerity, then that's their choice if
they wish to buy into that. But don't assail others for pointing out the
more obvious contradictions. (Altho Darwin has pointed out that we are
descended partially from the ostrich, which allows some of us the excuse
to thrust head-in-sand from time to time).