Re: Upgrade from Fostex FR2LE

Subject: Re: Upgrade from Fostex FR2LE
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Tue Mar 1, 2011 1:26 am ((PST))
> I would add the Tascam DR-100 to that list. I've just bought one for
> =A3250 and am putting it through its paces. I've been using a Tascam
> DR-1 (with an SQN mixer) which is fiddly but it gives good quality
> recordings, but the DR-100 has XLR inputs with a phantom powering
> option, so if you really want to go lightweight, that and a stereo
> pair is all you need. I haven't measured the noise level yet, but it
> sounds OK. It has two built in stereo cardioids and two mono mics but
> they are hissy as expected.

Hi David,

I also tried the DR-100 and measured it's noise floor. Unfortunately, it's =
mic preamplifiers are a bit noisy (-113 dBu(A)). I would therefore recommen=
d the Marantz PMD 661 instead, which has a similar size and weight, but muc=
h better preamps (-125 dBu(A)).

I have also frequently used the old TASCAM DR-1 together with my Sennheiser=
 K6/ME66 connected to its rugged 1/4" MIC 2 Input (-115dBu(A)), which provi=
des fairly good results. Unfortunately, two or three rows of its LCD displa=
y recently died.

I now use the SONY PCM-M10 that I often carry with me because it's so small=
 and lightweight. Here are a few recordings that I made with its internal m=
ics:

http://tinyurl.com/28gsn3o
http://www.avisoft.com/sounds/Uromenus_rugosicollis.wav (Rough-backed Bush-=
cricket)