Re: pre-amp with phantom power

Subject: Re: pre-amp with phantom power
From: "Flawn Williams" flawn1951
Date: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:19 am ((PST))

> are there any recommendations for some portable phantom-powered stereo preamp
> with line outputs or for one with digital output in the price range of less
> than 400-500euros ??
>
> thx

Continuing the Sound Devices love-fest: the MixPre and 302 are certainly good
options. Another option, just recently introduced, is Sound Devices' "USBPre
2". This has potentially more uses for you, since it can also be used as an
audio interface for a computer via USB. But unlike its predecessor the USBPre,
the new model 2 can also function in standalone mode as long as you have a way
to supply it with power from the wall or from a battery (there's no battery
compartment in the unit itself). There is a wide variety of battery packs out
there with 5 volt USB outputs that can provide long run times for the USBPre 2.

It has virtually every flavor of analog and digital input and output you could
desire: analog outs can be balanced line, balanced mike, or unbalanced aux (or
all at once!), and digital outs are on both coaxial and optical. I would
suspect Sound Devices' digital converters will sound better than the ones in
the Marantz.

The device sells in the US for about $650, which ought to get it into the
under-500 Euro bracket.

http://sounddevices.com/products/usbpre2.htm