Re: pre-amp with phantom power

Subject: Re: pre-amp with phantom power
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:20 am ((PST))
Marinos,

Sorry to hear of your troubles with a Marantz PMD661, I have one and love
it. Its always worked flawless for me...

As to preamps to work with the PMD661 line inputs, I agree with Nino, the
Sound Devices MixPre or the Sound Devices "302" are the best choice.

I use both of these SD preamp models with my PMD661 for interfacing with
large multiple microphone arrays.  I use two of the "302" and one MixPre
for a total of 8 microphone inputs as the internal stereo sound bus of the
Sound Devices preamps can be daisy chained by a coax jumper and then output
of one preamp fed to the PMD661 Line inputs.   This works extremely well in
my application and the low noise, high quality of the Sound Devices preamps
is tops in my experience.

I don't know how the SD prices relate to the euro as I'm in the states, but
I can tell you this, the SD Preamps are worth every cent you will pay for
them...

Hope this helps,
Mitch...

--