Re: Minidisc error, please help!

Subject: Re: Minidisc error, please help!
From: "James" jamesaeaton
Date: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:44 am ((PST))
Dear All,

Many thanks for the responses.

Rob - Unfortunately I do not have a spare Hi-MD, however it still runs my other
discs, so it appears the disc is the problem. I tried running sonicstage but
unfortunately it still says the same 'format disc error'. I can not run
anything while the disc is in the player.

Thanks for sending the links to Sony, I will attempt contacting them and hope
for the best, though I am rather pessimistic about the situation!

Regards,

James

At 3:21 AM +0000 12/28/10, James wrote:

>Dear Nature Recordists...
>
>On a recent camping trip into the rainforest in Sumatra I
>encountered a problem - after taking over 80 sound recordings (many
>of them of real value and importance to me) my Sony Hi-MD stopping
>working, showing 'format disc error' despite working perfectly
>normally just 5 minutes previously.
>
>Could anybody please point me in the direction of help or offer any
>advise on what can be done to retrieve the data saved on the
>minidisc as it really would be soul-destroying if I have lost all
>the recordings I had made over the previous couple of days!
>
>Many, many thanks in advance,
>
>James
>
>James Eaton
><jamesaeaton%40hotmail.com>

= = =

Hi James--

Sorry about your predicament. I've seen this associated with the
recorder shutting down when operating on low batteries.

Its been a while since I've run through the options. Will it play? If
it does, you can use an app called, HiMD Renderer to record the
tracks as they play. Have you tried the disc in another Hi-MD unit?
Did you try uploading the files with Sonic Stage? [Connect the deck,
launch SS then put in the disc).

Caution: Don't mess around with the contents of "HMDHIFI" folder that
sometimes mounts on Mac computers.

I see that Sony Media Services had retrieved data for some users. I'd
call them for advice: http://www.sonymediaservices.com/

Looks like the Hi-MD users forum has now moved to a SONY. Enter
"format disc error" here:
http://forums.sonyinsider.com/index.php?/forum/15-minidisc/ Rob D.

= = =