Re: Creaky Tree

Subject: Re: Creaky Tree
From: "Mark Brennan" markbrennanfinear=
Date: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:57 pm ((PDT))

A good question Kevin, In the winter, here in Nova Scotia last year, I tram=
ped
about the woods on windy days with my recording gear. Just about the only s=
ound
I could find were frozen streams and creaking trees! I found the more solid=
 hard
wood trees like birch and maple made a deeper  more bass sound while the so=
ft
woods like White and Red Spruce had  a higher pitch. I guess because of the=

density of the wood. Most times it was a tree rubbing on another tree. A lo=
ok at
the place where the sound came from showed deep grooves where they had like=
ly
been shifting in the wind for years. If there is a constant wind, you can f=
ind
some unique rhythms. I was seldom aware of this until i started recording
nature.

cheers
Mark

 Mark A. Brennan