Re: Which Location Recorder - Which Mics...

Subject: Re: Which Location Recorder - Which Mics...
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:24 am ((PDT))
At 8:53 AM +0000 10/20/10, soundsvisual wrote:

>Hi - have followed this group for a while now. I used to record
>sound effects professionally for a library using an HHB Portadat and
>a Sennheiser MKH30-40 or 60 mic rig. I sold all of that kit a while
>ago, but am getting back into location recording.
>
>At the moment the kit I am using is no good for wet weather or
>discreet work as I'm using a MacBook Pro, an RME Fireface 400 (bus
>powered) and a pair of matched Rode NT1s. I mean great quality -
>incredibly low noise (maybe a little brittle sounding?) but in terms
>of being "portable" or discreet - no. So which way to go? I love the
>RME Fireface 400 pre-amps they are excellent, but not sure how I
>would power that unit without the MacBook?
>
>So I've looked at a Sony PCMD50 - would be great for discreet work -
>and if I wanted to use some different mics I could get a phantom
>power pack and go that route. That's the most cost effective way,
>and I like the idea of being able to put it in my pocket - would be
>good for recording ambient sounds where a big rig is going to start
>questions from security etc...
>
>Or if money was no object, would a SoundDevices recorder and a
>Sennheiser 30/40 rig be so much better?
>
>I suppose the answer is both.
>
>As far as mics are concered, the NT1s are great except I have no
>basket for them - just a couple of windjammers to slip over the top,
>and they are mounted on a camera tripod.
>
>So any tips for a stereo mic (maybe m-s)- v low noise - better than
>onboard the Sony PCMD50?
>
>Thanks for any suggestions.
>
>Regards
>
>Jonathan

Hi Jonathan--
It can require some research to settle on priorities but these tend
to be crucial to nail down: Small vs. large overall profile and very
low-noise vs. low-noise mics in the stereo array(s) of your
preference.

Some related factors to consider:
http://tinyurl.com/247qscv

Matching Pres & Mics:
http://tinyurl.com/34ojchb (first mics/array, then recorder)

The smaller profile mic/array options with very low self-noise
performance are few. I can't think of a single-point mic with under
12 dB(A) self noise.  One low-noise, single point option that might
not jump out is the Audio Technica BP-4025. As you need a
professional set-up, you'll probably need several mic options in the
long term.

Some people like to invest modestly at first to get a better feel for
what style/results works for them. Quite a few people have gone with
Sony M10 and made some ~14dB(A) self-noise DIY mics
http://www.frogloggers.com/BT%20EM172.htm to go along with it. (Same
mic capsules that are inside the M10, but in a better stereo array).

I would agree that the tonal balance of the NT1-A's leans towards
"brittle." I think some of it has to do with the poorer
representation of the lower mid range which makes the HF emphasis
more perceptible. The NT2000 is much less "grainy" and has very good
lower mid range response in case you have inexplicably fallen in love
with large condenser mics. Rob D.