Re: Post Processing -- what's legit and useful, from various points

Subject: Re: Post Processing -- what's legit and useful, from various points
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Sat Jul 3, 2010 3:35 pm ((PDT))
On 03/07/2010, at 4:03 PM, tgos3 wrote:

> Other MP-2 users/wizards -- is this ok and will it get me 10dB better (el=
ectrical) S/N?

It will get you 4dB more gain as unbalancing loses 6dB, but won't improve y=
our signal to noise ratio. Once sound has entered the recorder the signal h=
as a fixed relationship to the combined noise floor of the mic and preamp. =
The only way to improve SN is, as John pointed out, to ensure the signal re=
aching the mic is louder.

I don't use the Oktava's but looking at the specs it appears these mics hav=
e a self-noise of 18dBa and sensitivity of 10mv/pa. They are also supplied =
with a -10dB pad module which fits between cap and body.  Given that the mp=
2 has 56dB gain - which is more gain than the SD7 series recorders - and yo=
u are also adding gain at the recorder, it could be worth checking that you=
 don't have the pad module installed.

cheers
Paul