Re: Post Processing -- what's legit and useful, from various points

Subject: Re: Post Processing -- what's legit and useful, from various points
From: "tgos3" tgos3
Date: Sun Jul 4, 2010 6:55 am ((PDT))
jeez i feel dumb.  I have been reversing the self noise and sensitivity fig=
ures in my head.  I just checked online, and of course you are right.  I wa=
s feeling surprised they measured almost as quiet as modern low noise mikes=
 -- but they don't.

on the other hand, i never use the screw-on pads so that's one less source =
of error.  I even checked to make sure the phantom voltage was set correctl=
y on the MP-2 ;-)

I'll just have to see how nervous the frogs are.  They shut up when i get w=
ithin about 10 feet to their general location (I have never been able to lo=
cate them visually), but I'll just have to leave the stuff set up and see h=
ow long it takes them to start up again when i walk away.  There are 2-3 of=
 them calling, and they are spread out over about 20 feet, which will put s=
ome of them off mike if I get too close to the 'major'.  I'll just have to =
experiment.

tedg

--- In  Paul Jacobson <> wrote:

> On 03/07/2010, at 4:03 PM, tgos3 wrote:
> > Other MP-2 users/wizards -- is this ok and will it get me 10dB better (=
electrical) S/N?

> It will get you 4dB more gain as unbalancing loses 6dB, but won't improve=
 your signal to noise ratio. Once sound has entered the recorder the signal=
 has a fixed relationship to the combined noise floor of the mic and preamp=
. The only way to improve SN is, as John pointed out, to ensure the signal =
reaching the mic is louder.

>Oktavas[...]self-noise of 18dBa and sensitivity of 10mv/pa. [...]also supp=
lied with a -10dB pad [...]it could be worth checking that you don't have t=
he pad module installed.