Re: Audio files now online.

Subject: Re: Audio files now online.
From: "Mitch Hill" wa1ykn
Date: Sun Jun 6, 2010 6:04 pm ((PDT))
At 09:42 AM 6/7/2010 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi Mitch,
>
>I tried your '4shared' link and could listen to your sounds, but
>could not download them.  The sound played only in the left hand side
>of my headphones.  I had to click once on the file, then again on
>download button (to hear the sound), with another option to
>'download' apparently to my computer.  So I clicked that and the
>countdown began but at the end of 10 seconds or whatever, there was
>no mp3 file to be found on my desktop, nor on my computer anywhere.
>One of the tech-savvy chaps might know why the download did not
>work?  (I'm on a Mac).

Hi Vicki,

Thank you for trying the new file storage system, (new to me that is).

Yours is the first feedback I've received, I'm glad you were able to
access  the MP3 files and the streaming sound work.  As to the download
feature, I'm puzzled, I'll have to check with my brother, he was my Guinea=

pig for testing and I thought he tried the file download, I'll have to
follow up on that. He lives on the other end of the East Coast from where I=

am, and sometimes we don't communicate as clearly on the phone as we
should...

It may be as simple as me not setting the access permissions correctly...

As to not hearing sound in both channels, I'll have to check that. When I
listened to it here, I was pretty sure I did hear sound in both channels
however not all the files are stereo. The MKE 300 microphone I have is
strictly mono, but what I have recorded with the LS-11's own mics is stereo=

and the ME 66/K6 mic is wired to both channels even though it is a monaural=

mic so should have sound in both ears.

MP3 file BlueJay01 was recorded with the MKE 300 which is strictly mono
however I thought the sound was in the right channel but am not sure.

MP3 file Bluejay02 was recorded with the ME66/K6 mic and should be sound in=

both channels.

TF_Robin was recorded with the LS-11 mics and should be stereo.

Cardinal01 was recorded with the ME66/K6 same as BlueJay02 using the same
setup.

Cardinal03 was also recorded with the ME66/K6 and has sound in both channel=
s.

After supper, I ran a few tests, I did not log in using my administrator
access login, instead I used the link which takes you directly into the
wildlife folder so as to test and I was able to download the Cardinal03
file without any trouble and confirmed the sound in both channels of the
files as listed above.

I will have to look into a means of saving mono single channel files so
that the sound is on both channels, my brother commented about that to me
and I'm going to have to look at the manual for the sound editing package I=

use, I'm pretty sure it can be done.  Seems to me I noticed a channel copy=

command on one of the menus for doing that but have not explored it yet.

One thing I did notice is that the "4shared" download function takes 17
seconds to initialize and then you get a box in which you have to click a
button to start the download...  Its a slow process to get started but
seems to work well.  How much of that is my old slow computer is another
question. It may be faster on a newer faster computer...

The alternate is I can supply links to individual files however I think you=

will still have to go through the same process.

Vicki, again, may thanks for the test and the feedback...  I'd suggest you=

try it again and use the Cardinal03.mp3 file as its short and I know the
sound is in both channels...

--

Thanks,
Mitch & Shadow...