Re: Advice/Opinions on stereo mic cable

Subject: Re: Advice/Opinions on stereo mic cable
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Mon May 3, 2010 1:02 pm ((PDT))
On 04/05/2010, at 1:00 AM, dvd_hoover wrote:

> 'm planning to make some mic cables for recording using a stereo mic (5 p=
in xlr).  I'm considering cable listed below.
> I'd like to keep size and weight down, which attracts me to the mr202, bu=
t the "quality" part of my brain says Star-Quad.
> My longest run will probably be 50'.  Longest cable probably 30'.
>
> So my two biggest concerns/questions would be:
>
> Has anyone had noise/interference issues with the mr202 cable that might =
be avoided using Star-Quad?
> And, can you "cram" a cable larger than 8mm (like the Mogami siamese or t=
he Canare L-4E3-2P) into a Neutrik X?

> Thanks

The smaller (4.8mm o.d) star quad cables are great for this purpose. I use =
a 25m/75' run without any issues.

Mogami W2893
http://www.mogamicable.com/Bulk/micr_cables/quad_micr/quad_micr.htm

and

Canare L-4E5C
http://www.canare.com/ProductItemDisplay.aspx?productItemID=3D53

The L-4E5C _might_ be a little more sturdy as it has a braided copper shiel=
d rather than twisted/spiral shielding as used in the mogami. The spiral sh=
ield is much easier to work with when fabricating the cables however.

As John suggested use one pair of the star quad for each channel , and you'=
ll need to make a XLR5 to 2x XLR3 "y" adapter for the recorder end.
Canare L-2E5 (4.6mm/0.181")   twisted pair  works well for this, as you can=
 squeeze 2 cables into an XLR housing.

cheers
Paul