Re: SPL Problems with AT3032's?

Subject: Re: SPL Problems with AT3032's?
From: "Dan Dugan" dandugan_1999
Date: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:21 pm ((PDT))
> I recorded a drum & bagpipe group yesterday at a pub. I used
> Audio-Technica AT3032's in a Jecklin disc configuration, into the Wendt
> X3 and then into the Fostex FR2 at 24/96. I monitored the levels closely
> & had them set to peak at around -6db.
>
> In reviewing the recording there are "spikes" that sound like I was
> maxing or clipping, but the levels look good-

There's really ugly peak inversion clipping, and some long-recovery overloa=
ds, too.

> the only thing I can think
> of is that the 3032's couldn't handle the SPLs... Anybody have a minute
> to listen to a sample?
>
> This is the raw BWF.
> <http://sound.flyingmonkeystudio.com/sounds/pipers.wav>

Could be the mic or the preamp. That's loud stuff, I'd try switching on the=
 mic's -10 dB pad, or the -10 or -20 dB gain decreases on the mixer's pream=
ps. I rather suspect the mixer because the 3032s are rated at 148 dB SPL w/=
o the pad and I imagine you were at under 120.

Since it isn't simple clipping, I don't think there's any way to repair the=
 recording.

-Dan