Re: Request for advice on recording equipment to take to a rain fore

Subject: Re: Request for advice on recording equipment to take to a rain fore
From: "oryoki2000" oryoki2000
Date: Sat Mar 6, 2010 9:29 pm ((PST))
Richard,

You will be amazed and in awe of the rainforest!  Since you'll be
there for only a few days, the chances are you won't have any
problems with humidity.  You can improve your chances by
keeping your gear in sealed bags that contain packets of desiccant
(available at most any camera shop) when you're not recording.

Moving from an air conditioned room or vehicle out into very hot and humid air
will cause condensation on all the surfaces of your gear.  It's best to keep
the gear sealed in bags until it's had a chance to warm up to the temperature
of the ambient air.

My preference is to keep gear to a minimum while traveling, particularly if
you're with others who aren't interested in recording.

One factor to consider is that the staff in national parks around the world are
becoming increasingly restrictive of activities that look to be "professional,"
that is, undertaken with the goal of making money.  If you appear to be a pro
sound man, with boom, blimp and headphones, you may be asked to purchase a
license for audio recording.  If you look like a tourist with a Walkman, nobody
will pay attention.

--oryoki