Re: Superb Lyrebird alarm calls?

Subject: Re: Superb Lyrebird alarm calls?
From: "vickipowys" vpowys
Date: Sat Mar 6, 2010 2:34 pm ((PST))
Hi Paul (Syd too!)

I've now listened to the entire recording.  I am thinking there is a
Grey Shrike-thrush giving sub song after five minutes or so, and
perhaps it is the GST that flies off at the end?

Faux ARCTIC fox fur?  Does that mean it is white?

If you want to record lyrebirds you do need to use stealth and
camouflage.  If lyrebirds see you or hear you they will stop calling
(apart from giving alarm calls).  If you want to record breeding
season song you can either used a fixed mic (as Syd suggests), or
simply stalk them which is quite fun, and a challenge in bushcraft
too.  Only move closer while the lyrebird is singing to lessen the
chances of him hearing your approach.  When he pauses the song he is
listening for other lyrebirds and if he hears so much as the snap of
a small twig he will likely run off.

You need to wear dull bush-coloured clothing, cammo is useful, pull a
hat down over your eyes if you wear glasses so that there is no glint
from the glasses.  Wrap something dull green around your mics.  Green
mosquito netting, or cammo netting, is very useful for this.  Drape
it around the tripod too if you are leaving a fixed mic.  Paint the
tripod dull green.  Be prepared to sit and wait for a long time.
Wear warm clothes and gloves in winter so you don't get too cold.

If I am doing mono recording of lyrebirds with a gun mic I have
improvised with a green mohair scarf that I found in a $2 shop, it is
mottled green too so looks like vegetation.  I have wrapped that
around the blimp and it is quite a good windshield.  I suppose you
could knit one out of mohair wool too, if you can't find one to buy.

Depends on where you are recording as to how tolerant lyrebirds may
be of humans, and how many mistakes in stalking that you can get away
with.

While I have been stalking lyrebirds I have also seen foxes, and
cats, stalking the same lyrebird, so no wonder the lyrebirds are
ready to fly or run.  They are very vulnerable while they calling and
displaying from the ground, and they know it.

The other thing that can happen when you are stalking is that, just
when you take the last 5 steps to the perfect recording position you
will startle a wallaby, or a Wonga Pigeon etc, and they in turn will
thump or clatter wings and alert the lyrebird.

I've always thought a Ghillie Suit would be the way to go with
lyrebirds, but I've never actually made one, nor tried it.  Would be
a good way to keep warm in winter though, the time the lyrebirds are
calling best.

Re International Dawn Chorus Day, could you remind us all of what
this is about?  We once did a dawn chorus project via this list.  Is
it anything to do with that?

cheers,

Vicki