Re: Superb Lyrebird alarm calls?

Subject: Re: Superb Lyrebird alarm calls?
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Fri Mar 5, 2010 1:20 pm ((PST))
Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words about the recording, and thanks to Syd and Vicki =
for their insights as I know both have spent much time studying and recordi=
ng Alberts and Superb Lyrebirds respectively.

I do wonder if my rig was a contributing factor to the Alarm- later in the =
recording there is a sequence of wing beats repeatedly passing close to the=
 mics and an impact on the rig. I've also had previous experiences where bi=
rds have taken offence at the strange (faux arctic fox) fur I'm using for t=
he diy windshields.  Introduced foxes and feral cats are the main predators=
 in the area - a fox cub crossed the road in front of us about 2km from the=
 Acheron Gap. The lyrebird alarm calls continued after I had moved well awa=
y and out of direct line of sight.

I've tried using a temporary camouflage wrap tied to the in rig the past, s=
o perhaps it's time to look at a more permanent solution.

Volker,  the area around where I made this recording seems to have a large =
population of Superb Lyrebirds and a low level of vehicle traffic in the ea=
rly morning - I saw one car as we were packing the rig into the car.   It's=
 definitely one of the best spots for recording Lyrebirds close to Melbourn=
e I've come across. I'm planning on visiting the area again on Internationa=
l Dawn Chorus Day (2 May 2010) so hopefully with a few changes to the rig a=
nd ensuring I'm well away from the mics I'll get some non-alarm calls :)

cheers
Paul

On 06/03/2010, at 1:55 AM, Martyn Stewart wrote:

> Beautiful, Paul. I love the raindrops too.  I love the feel to this recor=
ding, my wife also saw lyrebird roosting high in the canopy while she was i=
n the area.