Re: Superb Lyrebird alarm calls?

Subject: Re: Superb Lyrebird alarm calls?
From: "Syd Curtis"
Date: Fri Mar 5, 2010 5:44 am ((PST))
Hi Paul,

I'm pleased to see that Vicki has answered your queries.  My knowledge of
Superbs is pretty much limited to their vocal behaviour ... and my
2001-vintage computer is even older in "computer-years" than my 80 plus
human years: we haven't managed to hear your sound.

Albert's Lyrebirds certainly roost high in the rainforest canopy.  They are
able to fly upwards, albeit with apparent difficulty.  However, they can
leap upwards certainly more than a metre, maybe 2 m or more, and they ascen=
by climbing and jumping as much as possible to gain height.

But I can't resist responding to you comment:

> I apologise in advance for the quality of the recording - it was an objec=
> lesson in the need for awareness when placing mic's  - it's always a very=
 good
> idea look up to see what you have placed your mics beneath!  In this case=
> dripping myrtle beech tree.

Obviously from the comments made, you've produced a lovely recording with
the water drops adding to the realism.  My version of this:

I was studying at length the vocal behaviour of one particular male Albert'=
Lyrebird in southern Queensland.  I knew where he roosted and where he
usually came down first to a favourite display platform.  One morning, I
decided to record his singing from his roost as well as his display song.
So before daylight, I positioned myself between his roost and his display
platform, and as soon as he started singing I started recording - and
recorded somewhat more than I had bargained on!

He sang nicely from his roost (in a tall rainforest tree); then flew down t=
land with a thump on a large branch right above me ... and immediately
defecated!  And I got a neat recording of the sound of him defecating, then
of the dropping hitting a branch, and finally the sound of the droplets tha=
sprayed around me, hitting the dry leaf-litter on the ground.  At that stag=
he noticed me, gave an alarm call and smartly departed for the ground.

All nicely recorded on tape.  But that was May 13, 1969.  On open reel tape=
.
Don't know if the recorded sounds would have survived the 40 years since.

Cheers

Syd