Request for advice on recording equipment to take to a rain forest

Subject: Request for advice on recording equipment to take to a rain forest
From: "Richard Folwell" richardfolwell
Date: Sat Mar 6, 2010 10:32 am ((PST))
In about a month from now I will be spending a few days in the Taman
Negara in Malaysia.  I have never been to a rain forest before, and am
only just starting up with nature recording.  Hoping to do some
recording while I am there, but have concerns about the effect of
humidity on microphones (just from what I have been reading).  At the
moment my equipment consists of:

AT8022 stereo mic
Rycote S-series blimp
Marantz PMD620 recorder

and have a few extra mics: couple of cheap but surprisingly effective
binaural pairs bought through eBay, an ATR3350 lav that is useful as a
cheap omni, and a Rode Videomic which I don't think is ever going to fit
into the blimp.

Would very much appreciate any advice about recording in such a place.
Obviously battery management is a prime issue, but I am wondering if I
ought to be also taking backup microphone(s) that are going to be
completely robust in warm and wet conditions.  It is only a vacation
trip - not like a serious project, but it would be a shame to get there
and find wonderful sounds (seems likely) and not be able to record them.

I'm mostly interested in stereo/binaural ambient recording.  Link to
something I am fairly happy with so far, done locally in London, at the
end (ambient recording of rain, not critters).

Thanks,
Richard

http://www.riversideinfo.net/pub/Urban_Rain_Hammersmith_London.mp3
(5 mins)

And something with bird sounds (not done with the AT8022, but a Sony
MS957).

http://www.riversideinfo.net/pub/hungry_gulls_with_aeroplane.mp3