Re: question on recording equipment

Subject: Re: question on recording equipment
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Fri Mar 5, 2010 8:44 am ((PST))
Hi Ellen,

Considering the windy environment that you mentioned, I would recommend to =
use a shotgun microphone with a windscreen. A parabola might also be useful=
, but I'm afraid that it could be a bit too directional for this applicatio=
n and also too cumbersome on your kayak.

Unfortunately, I have no personal experience with the AudioTechnica AT835 (=
I use instead the similar Sennheiser K6/ME66), but it seems that it can be =
powered through its internal battery, which means that you will not need an=
 additional phantom power supply box. Your relatively close distances to th=
e birds should then enable you to get good quality recordings that are suit=
ed for spectrographic analysis.

For the spectrographic analysis you might also consider the Avisoft-SASLab =
Pro software (http://www.avisoft.com/soundanalysis.htm) that provides an au=
tomated measurement tool for measuring various sound parameters such as dur=
ation, frequencies at different locations within a call and the degree of f=
requency modulation. Unfortunately, this software is not free. There is a f=
ree Light version without these automated measurement tools that is part of=
 the demo download (http://www.avisoft.com/setup3.exe). You might also cont=
act me privately for a special offer for students with limited budgets.

Regards,
Raimund Specht
Avisoft Bioacoustics
http://www.avisoft.com