Re: question on recording equipment

Subject: Re: question on recording equipment
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Mar 4, 2010 10:18 am ((PST))
At 11:29 AM -0500 3/4/10, Ellen Robertson wrote:

>Hi Nature Recordists
>I am a graduate student at the University of Maine studying
>Virginia rails and soras (wetland birds) and I am interested in
>recording and studying their songs as a part of my project. Do you
>have any recommendations for fairly cheap but decent recording
>equipment? The birds I am studying call from very wet, thick wetland
>vegetation. I can get within about 1-2 meters of them calling. Do
>you have any recommendations on whether to
>use a parabolic or a shotgun mic? For the recorder I am looking at
>the Edirol R-09...do you have opinions on this one or recommendations
>for others? If I did a shotgun mic I was looking at the AudioTechnica
>AT835 or the Azden Sgm-2X. Any recommendations/suggestionson these?
>I have also been reading about phantom power and am a little confused
>about this and if I need it or not. Do you know?
>Thanks so much for any help you're able to give! I really appreciate it!!
>Sincerely,
>Ellen Robertson

  = = =

Hi Ellen and welcome to the list!--
Can you tell us a little more about your interests in their songs? Do
you want to capture typical interactions and songs in the wild or is
it okay if they react to your presence?  Will you be noting and
documenting visual behaviors too? You mention gear that is often used
to help isolate calls, are there concerns about background sounds
interfering or are you after extremely close-up and detailed
vocalizations? What is the final application for the sounds? Rob D.

  = = =