Re: AudioTechnica AT4022

Subject: Re: AudioTechnica AT4022
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:35 am ((PST))
At 2:06 PM +0000 11/19/09, David Michael wrote:

>I purchased 2 of these microphones and took them on a recording trip
>to Amazonas. The quality of the recordings I got from them are quite
>nice, and they had no problems at all in the heat and humidity
>during 2 weeks of daily recording in the rain forest. I will post
>some recordings of the AT4022 shortly for those interested, but I
>would absolutely recommend these microphones.
>
>I would almost go as far as to say that their performance easily
>matches anything in their price class, and probably many microphones
>which are many times more expensive. They are definitely something
>worth having in your toolbox.
>
>David

Hi David--
It would be a big boon to quality budget-minded recording to know
whether the self-noise performance is comparable to the 3032's, 8
dB(A).  A simple way to see if it close using your gear is to connect
one 4022 to your SD recorder and your MKH-40 to the other channel and
set gain either at full or in the 48 to 55dB range and record some
room tone running on batteries with as much turned off as possible.
With a 10 sec clip, we can determine a lot. Rob D.