Re: four-channel digital recording

Subject: Re: four-channel digital recording
From: "Raimund" animalsounds
Date: Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:17 am ((PDT))
Robb Nichols wrote:

> Is there something out there in the way of an
> audio interface that can run off of bus or battery power--preferably
> well under $500.  The closest thing that I've found is the M-Audio Fast
> Track Ultra, but it will only run two mic channels off of bus power.  I
> haven't really looked into whether there is recording software that will=

> run two or more USB devices simultaneously.

Hi Robb,

The Avisoft-RECORDER software (multichannel version) can simultaneously rec=
ord from up to 8 individual audio interfaces:

http://www.avisoft.com/recorder.htm

However, it's not free.

To my knowledge, there are no cost-effective and bus-powered USB audio inte=
rfaces with preamps that can record simultaneously from more than two chann=
els. These constraints are mainly caused by the maximum power that an USB p=
ort can provide (5V/500mA). Though, there are special solutions available t=
hat can be entirely powered from the USB bus:

http://www.avisoft.com/usg/usg416hb.htm
http://www.avisoft.com/usg/usg416h.htm

These units can optionally be fitted with hydrophone charge amplifiers that=
 are also powered from the USB bus:

http://www.avisoft.com/usg/chargeamp.htm

Unfortunately, these units are no "budget" solutions.

Best regards, Raimund
Avisoft Bioacoustics