Re: four-channel digital recording

Subject: Re: four-channel digital recording
From: "Robb Nichols" robb_nichols
Date: Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:01 am ((PDT))
Thank you, Marinos.  And thanks to umashankar as well.

I guess that when I was referring to a "four-channel budget system", I
should have stressed the word "budget"  These $1000+ portable recorders
are remarkable and arguably a great value, but hard to justify for
applications where we just want basic timing and a decent recording.
I've kind of given up finding a recorder in this range that does four
channels.  (I would hack the H2 myself, but most people aren't
comfortable with this.)  Is there something out there in the way of an
audio interface that can run off of bus or battery power--preferably
well under $500.  The closest thing that I've found is the M-Audio Fast
Track Ultra, but it will only run two mic channels off of bus power.  I
haven't really looked into whether there is recording software that will
run two or more USB devices simultaneously.

Forgive me if this is not the perfect forum for this question, but we
seem to discuss gear quite often.  I thought that it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Regards, Robb