3. Re: sound editing software

Subject: 3. Re: sound editing software
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:07 am ((PDT))
On 13/10/2009, at 2:55 PM, Rob Danielson wrote:

> Paul--
> I think the terminology was confusing me. The "layers" are "stacked"
> plugs in one stereo track and the settings used to output a file can
> be saved as as .wedt doc. Being able to go back later and tweak plug
> setting is very useful.
>
> The kind of editing and mixing I was referring to does require
> working with a good number of stereo tracks, "sliding" them around in
> time, inserting effects plugs and volume/pan settings on each track
> and then mixing out to stereo or surround.

Hi Rob,

The difficulty seems to be that Wave Editor visualises data using
Photoshop style layers vs the more usual mixing desk schema.

The best way I can think to explain the layers is that the base
channels - a stereo pair in this case but could be 24 channel if you
had the need - are the equivalent of the master output bus in a "mixer
style" audio app.  The layers are roughly the equivalent of stereo
tracks (you can insert multichannel audio into layers) but they are
stacked above the base channels rather than being laid out like as
parallel "lanes".  In the end you are looking at the similar types of
information presented in quite different ways.

The content of the WE layers can be slid around in time and with a
plug like Sonalksis's Free G  http://www.sonalksis.com/index.php?section_id=
=3D99
   you can add volume/pan functionality to Wave Editor's layers.  I do
admit this is probably bending Wave Editor to a task it wasn't really
intended to do.

cheers
Paul

sound is worth a thousand pictures." R. Murray Schafer via Bernie Krause

<*> Your email settings:
    Digest Email  | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: