2. Re: sound editing software

Subject: 2. Re: sound editing software
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:56 pm ((PDT))
At 11:40 AM +1100 10/13/09, Paul Jacobson wrote:
>  On 12/10/2009, at 4:00 PM, Rob Danielson wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Paul and Lily--
>>
>>  They've built some nifty features into Wave Editor since I last
>>  looked at it. As Lily astutely points out, the learning curve is
>>  going to be steep for a while and its probably wise for her to invest
>>  her time in an application that also supports video for her
>>  soundtrack projects. It can be quite daunting trying to manipulate
>>  files on a timeline, adjust levels, tweak plug settings and keep
>>  track of one's files if one has no audio background. I think she'd
>>  learn to enjoy the ability to save her edits and settings and not
>>  have to start over from scratch to improve a mix. I couldn't tell
>>  from the documentation, do you possibly know if Wave Editor supports
>>  real time audio plug inserts in multiple tracks and has the ability
>>  to save session settings? These would be big bonuses at that price
>>  point. Final Cut Express, which she already owns, has some video
>>  features she won't need initially but it has all the audio tools her
>>  needs have indicated thus far. Its also a fairly friendly application
>>  to learn. Rob D.
>>  --
>
>Hi Rob and Lily,
>
>If Lily has an need to integrate video then FCeX is probably a good
>place to start from.
>
>Much of the editing functionality has been in Wave Editor since it's
>inception - the podcast and cd mastering functionality is more
>recent. There is a fantastic series of tutorials which were done
>using WE 1.2 posted on the razormaid remix website. They are remixed
>focused but show the basics of WE editing, smart edits, layers and such.
>
><http://www.razormaid.com/Training/>http://www.razormaid.com/Training/
>
>Wave Editor definitely supports realtime effects but these are applied
>to layers rather than channels or tracks. Document specific settings
>like gui configuration are customisable and can be saved as templates.
>Any of these custom templates can be used as the default setup when
>opening a file. The default WE file format preserves all the layers
>and settings so it is easy to do a "save as" while you are working and
>this allows you to go back to a previous version with all settings
>full editable. By default there are unlimited undo/redo's so you can
>revert any changes you've made easily.
>
>I've put up page with a screenshot of how I'd set up something like
>your eq comparisons in wave editor. The file used in the example is
>saved as a .wedt document with all layers and plugin settings intact.
>Saving out to .wav or .aiff is done by either exporting or using "save
>to..." both of which leave the original .wedt document intact and save
>out a flattened copy of the file.
>
><http://www.urbanbirder.com.au/sound-recording/wave-editor-layers>http://w=
ww.urbanbirder.com.au/sound-recording/wave-editor-layers

>I've included a brief description of the layers and if you click the
> [...]

Paul--
I think the terminology was confusing me. The "layers" are "stacked"
plugs in one stereo track and the settings used to output a file can
be saved as as .wedt doc. Being able to go back later and tweak plug
setting is very useful.

The kind of editing and mixing I was referring to does require
working with a good number of stereo tracks, "sliding" them around in
time, inserting effects plugs and volume/pan settings on each track
and then mixing out to stereo or surround.

Amadeus Pro and Audacity support many, adjustable, tracks tracks but
not with realtime plugs for each track. Of course, Ardour does all of
the above, and for free, but it lacks the video component. Cubase
Essential 4 with all of the above and video looks intriguing at $150
but I see the associated user forum has a good number of un-addressed
posts. If anyone has used Cubase SE3 or Essiential 4 with Mac, it
would be interesting to hear your experiences.  Rob D.