3. Re: sound editing software

Subject: 3. Re: sound editing software
From: "Paul Jacobson" thebrunswicktwitcher
Date: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:06 pm ((PDT))
On 12/10/2009, at 11:45 AM, Lily Plants wrote:

> Fancy de-noiser =3D one that has a spectrogram and takes a print of
> steady state noise and uses algorithms to train the program to
> recognize and eliminate noise. Soundtrack
> Pro, Soundsoap Pro and RX iZotope are all fancy. Apparently RX is
> the best, yet all are hard.
> Sound editing programs (these programs including DSP Quatro X aren't
> listed on lynda.com for training purposes), but I can get training
> for FCEx thru Apple and lynda.com:
>
> BiasPeakLE($99) soundseasyforsoundediting,butIthinkIneedmoretracks.
> and higher resolution (24/96)
> For art Iwanttomixa variety ofsoundstogetherandasculpturalway
> (larger stage with lots of space separating sounds).
> I don't know what I'm talking about (these track differences might
> not matter).
>
> Cubase Essential 4 & 5 ($150) have plenty of tracks and handle high
> resolution (it's hard for me to evaluate these
> programs because they are for musicians (will call for differences
> betw 4 & 5).
>
> Even tho it's expensive for a plug in RXiZotopedenoiser ($280) looks
> great (watched their video tutorials). It can work as a
> stand alone (maybe also a VST plug-in for Cubase).
>
> Rob, how isCubasemorerobust than Soundtrack Pro?
> anddoesvideoplaybackcapability mean I can import video into Cubase
> orCubaseintoFCExpress?
>

> The ideaofusingFCplug-incapabilityisbrilliant!
>
> I'm not sure that the RX would plug into FCExpress. Here are the
> plug-ins which come with it:
>
> file:///Users/shallbe/Desktop/sound/FCE%20Apple%20filters.png
> file:///Users/shallbe/Desktop/sound/FCE%20filters.rtf
> file:///Users/shallbe/Desktop/sound/FCE%20Final%20Cut%20filters.png
>
> However (!), I'm having problems with using filters with Audio
> HijackPro which would apply to material while it's
> being recorded.see filters below (sorry about link; they wouldn't
> attach):
>
> file:///Users/shallbe/Desktop/sound/effects%20in%20audio%20hijack%20pro/4=
FX%20Effect.png
> file:///Users/shallbe/Desktop/sound/effects%20in%20audio%20hijack%20pro/A=
U%20apple.png
> file:///Users/shallbe/Desktop/sound/effects%20in%20audio%20hijack%20pro/P=
icture%201.png
> file:///Users/shallbe/Desktop/sound/effects%20in%20audio%20hijack%20pro/s=
teve%20harris.png

Hi Lily,

As I suggested to Gianni, you might want to have a look at Wave
Editor, although it may be a bit short on the mixing features of
cubase or Logic?  The editor supports multiple channels, can use any
bit rate and sample depth supported by the OS, and can combine
different bitrates, sample depths and channel counts in a single
document.   One of the interesting features is that it uses a layer
approach to editing - something like Photoshop layers applied to audio.

There are tutorials produced by the developers online at http://www.vimeo.c=
om/audiofileeng/videos

Take a look at the quick start video which demonstrates some of the
editing capabilities at  http://www.vimeo.com/1706054

There is a good review of an earlier version of the program at:

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/05/15/review-audiofile-engineering-wave-=
editor-ideal-mac-audio-tool/

Note that the price has dropped significantly since the above review -
it's now $79US  rather than $250.  It's definitely not the perfect
editor but quite capable for the price.

cheers
Paul