Re: File Archiving [was: tape digitizing]

Subject: Re: File Archiving [was: tape digitizing]
From: "jtudor2005" jtudor2005
Date: Thu Oct 1, 2009 1:41 pm ((PDT))

--- In  Philip Tyler <> wro=
te:

> The thing I like about TimeCapsule and Time Machine is the complete archi=
ve that it generates.

One thing you do need to be careful of with Time Machine. As the backup dri=
ve becomes full, Time Machine starts deleting the oldest backups. If you're=
 not aware of this happening, you'll soon find yourself with out files that=
 were backed up some time ago.

A backup is convenient, but is not a true 'Archive' as such.

Having said that, Time Machine pulled my coals out of the fire recently. I =
promised myself I wouldn't upgrade to Snow Leopard until I returned from ho=
liday, in case it screwed anything up for Kerry while I was gone. I did the=
 upgrade two days before I went away. no matter what I did, I couldn't get =
my wireless internet connection to work. So I ran the original install disk=
 and chose the Time Machine restore option. Using a backup from the night b=
efore had it up and running within two hours.

I still don't think it's choice for archiving though, treat it with caution=
.

Also, until retiring I worked for SA Police. We had to do a restore on one =
of the stations servers. Even though the tapes were being changed daily, it=
 turned out that they hadn't been working correctly for the last six months=
. We only found this out when we needed to restore.