Re: File Archiving [was: tape digitizing]

Subject: Re: File Archiving [was: tape digitizing]
From: "Jeremiah Moore" jeremiahmoore99
Date: Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:45 pm ((PDT))
On my primary work machine, I have CCC wake up every tuesday night and clone
the system drive to a second internal mechanism (warm failback boot volume.)
 This protects me against lost productivity if (when) my boot drive dies.

Project folders get pushed to the working-backup drive at multiple point
throughout the day by manually triggered unix script (rsync).  It compares
mod dates and checksums and only copies files which are changed.

User folders on laptop and work machines backed up to one another using
Crashplan.  (this is becoming a slight problem however, since the crashplan
backup is taking SO much space on the target machine, my laptop drive is
nearly full.)

TimeMachine looks great but I'm still os 10.4 on laptop.

I log when drives are purchased - in a spreadsheet, and a sticker on the
drive - and replace them before they're five years old.

Drobo looks good for libraries and other large data you want to have mounted
but doesn't need to be high performance.

-jeremiah

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 9:00 AM, Rob Danielson <> wrote:

> Hi Phil-
> There are versions of CCC that work back to OS X 10.2 too. I use CCC
> every few weeks to back-up my entire system install but its very
> simple to turn on an external drive every day for a few minutes and
> manually back-up the new contents of a few, well-organized folders.
> Its easy for my mind to separate OS backup from media file back-up
> because the files are on a separate drive partitions. The risks of
> loss are also isolated. If my OS creates a corrupt file (and its
> making thousands a day) my media file directories are not affected.
>
> Maybe its because the absolute need to back-up data became very
> evident to me in 1995, but I'd rather not have any application
> performing these crucial tasks "automatically" for me. The
> self-sufficiency of knowing exactly what needs to be done and doing
> it oneself probably lessens the chances of error more than relying on
> automation-- perhaps more so for a person starting to learn good,
> back-up habits.
>
> The CCC and Time Machine back-up programs are probably very good, but
> backing-up recordings isn't a precaution for me, it part of the
> process of recording. My maxim is, "A digital file doesn't really
> exist until there are two copies on different media and I know
> exactly where both are." The simple, "manual approach" promotes the
> cause because when I am very familiar with the structure of my file
> archive, the changes I need to make are more cohesive and hopefully
> more understandable down the road. Rob D.
>
> = = = = = = =
>

> At 9:46 AM +0000 9/30/09, Philip Tyler wrote:
> >Hi
> >
> >Any one running an Apple Mac with Leopard as their operating system
> >should have a look at Time Machine and a Time Capsule. It has
> >revoloutionised backing up for me, coupled with something like
> >SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner and an external drive makes a great
> >backup system.
> >
> >Phil
> >
> >On 30 Sep 2009, at 03:43, Rob Danielson
> ><<type%40uwm.edu <type%2540uwm.edu>> <type%40uwm.edu>>
> wrote:
> >
> >Hi Jeremiah--
> >In "archival" time, I think it is wise to assume that the products
> >that best meet necessary criteria will change pretty frequently. We
> >now add "instantly accessible" to "indestructible" and "cheap." I
> >agree that a huge argument for _redundant_ hard drives is the
> >probable ability to quickly convert one's data from one storage
> >system to another (at least compared to current optical discs).
> >
> >For folks with a few hundred GB's to store, its not a huge chore to
> >use both drives and optical disks. For larger archives, arrays of
> >more than 8 drives become quite pricey and 1 TB per drive does seems
> >to be the recommended maximum capacity today. For me, its worth the
> >extra time to burn everything, including the less critical, original
> [...]

jeremiah moore | SOUND |
http://www.jeremiahmoore.com/