Re: What's needed to run a Sound Devices 7 series recorder from a 12

Subject: Re: What's needed to run a Sound Devices 7 series recorder from a 12
From: "Rob Danielson" danielson_audio
Date: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:37 am ((PDT))
Hi Jason--
The directness of your solution is attractive. The 3 inverters
($30-$60USD) I tried generated noise that my mics picked up. The
inverter also uses some juice. The expensive, "pure" sine wave units
might not have these issues, but I'd still be suspicious of creating
AC near my rig if there were other options.  Rob D.

  =3D =3D =3D =3D =3D

At 11:55 PM +0000 8/12/09, jasonpudd wrote:

>Aaron,
>
>I have an idea for you. Have you considered just buying a power
>inverter (I just got a 12v to 120v pure sine wave inverter for
>charging from my car battery for $28.00 from a retail marine supply
>store) and just pluging the SD 7XX into the inverter using the AC
>power adaptor that came with the unit? Simple and cheap. You can use
>the inverter to charge you other batteries when you are on long
>trips as a bonus too.
>
>Jason Puddifoot
>
>--- In
><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=
m,
>"John Hartog" <> wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Aaron,
>>  Sounds like you are moving up from One Minute Vacations to One Day
>>Vacations:) I was just thinking about a similar project last night.
>>
>>  Of course rechargeables are more cost effective and eco-friendly
>>for long term projects, but if you do not plan to need this on a
>>regular basis consider disposable alkaline D-cells. Walgreens drug
>>store often has sales on their house brand for $8 for a dozen.
>>
>>  Shoot for higher in the (9-18v)voltage range. A 12 D-alkaline pack
>>will provide 18v under load: I must warn however, the initial spike
>>of ~ 20v could be harmful. Could run it down a bit first, or
>>otherwise a 16.5 pack. That might be ideal: two parallel packs of
>>eleven D-alkaline might provide the 28 hours you are going for.
>>  I have been using plastic battery holders for this: I tape them up
>>well so the batteries cant move.
>>
>>  That does seem like a lot of battery waste though, doesn't it?
>>Especially since you would want to test it at least once, or twice.
>>
>>  Do not rely on the battery switchover feature of your 7xx, as it
>>may not be reliable.
>>
>>  I don't know of commercially available power cords, but you could
>>get one custom built. Attaching the 4-pin hirose is the hardest
>>part. You could make it a much easier job by using the cable from a
>>SD power supply and soldering on the necessary connector. I have
>>been using Tamiya style connectors to switch between power supply,
>>battery packs, and car lighter adapter.
>>
>>  John Hartog
>>

>>  --- In
>><naturerecordists%40yahoogroups.com>=