Re: learning mid-side

Subject: Re: learning mid-side
From: "Richard Humphries" mdsfx
Date: Tue Aug 4, 2009 7:46 pm ((PDT))
--- In  David Kuhn <> wrote=
:

> Hi Recordists, as I mentioned=C2=A0in my last post, I have recently under=
taken to learn the mysterious ways=C2=A0of the mid-side stereo technique, h=
aving gotten together an MKH 30/40 set with Senn MZW 201 blimp windscreen a=
nd home-made furry=C2=A0cover.

> As=C2=A0Bernie=C2=A0has put it, mid-side technique is not intuitive like =
other systems we use. There seems to be no substitute for field/studio expe=
rience in getting to know how to use it. At this stage I've used it enough =
to=C2=A0know=C2=A0THAT it works, but have little understanding of=C2=A0HOW =
or=C2=A0WHY it works.=C2=A0 I have used my SASS =C2=A0(Walt-modified with M=
KH 20's) for three years now, so simple, what you=C2=A0monitor is what you =
get. In fact I spend a lot of time just listening though that system. Liste=
ning through the mid-side system is, for me, not so satisfying or spell-bin=
ding, at least with the SD 702 set to "Inputs 1,2 linked for MS".

> Faced with=C2=A0two imminent=C2=A0extended field trips, I need to progres=
s to some level of knowing when mid-side would be best to use, relative to =
SASS.=C2=A0 It may be that I just need field time with it, using both syste=
ms when time and gear allows, then sort it out in post, manipulating the MS=
 and comparing with SASS results. If, however, any of you MS veterans have =
guidance, pointers, or even commiseration, that would be welcome.=C2=A0

> Aloha,
> David
>
> =C2=A0>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> David Kuhn
> www.soundshawaiian.com
>

> 808 335 0398
> Cell 808 651 8247
> Mail to: PO Box 1018
> Waimea, Kaua'i HI 96796
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I personally don't use the "Inputs Linked for MS" option since that records=
 the audio decoded to left right on the SD702 and I prefer to do the decodi=
ng myself later in post. Instead I use the MS decode on the headphone outpu=
t while recording. But the two options should sound identical when recordin=
g.

My needs are probably much different than many  people here, but I typicall=
y use M/S when I am pointing at something specific but want to get the spac=
e around that sound too-- mid side will let me later choose how much of tha=
t extra space I want to include in the recording. I don't have a SASS, but =
I use a Jecklin (Jecklin-like, really) setup when I want to capture somethi=
ng more ambient and diffuse.

If you haven't seen it yet, check out DPA's Microphone University site for =
a good explanation of the "How it works" for the various stereo techniques.

http://www.dpamicrophones.com/en/Microphone%20University/StereoTechniques.a=
spx

-Richard